A panel of distinguished faculty including both expert clinicians and healthcare decision makers was convened to discuss recent studies on the value of real-time CGM (rtCGM) in type 2 diabetes (T2D). This summary illustrates the key findings from these studies as seen by the faculty, including:
- Early improvement in HbA1c results in a legacy effect reducing the long-term complications of diabetes
- Recent studies published in JAMA demonstrate the value of rtCGM for improving glycemic control and reducing resource utilization in insulin-treated T2D across both a randomized, controlled trial (RCT) and a real-world cohort analysis
- Prospective and retrospective analyses reinforce average cost-savings of $400 per member per month (PMPM) or greater associated with rtCGM and demonstrate the value derived through appropriate coverage and patient selection
- Increasing access to rtCGM is one potential means of combatting health disparities
- Pharmacy coverage of rtCGM can elicit immediate cost-savings for payers in addition to easing the administrative burden on both payers and providers while enhancing access among members
Click here to download the summary.